Tax returns are required of all American citizens living outside the U.S. with a certain minimum income.  The return filed with IRS includes report of worldwide annual income and a calculation of resultant payment or tax refund.

American citizens who have children under the age of 17 who have a Social Security number are entitled to a refund as long as the parent has a minimal income.  The IRS computes all income received as a salaried employee or as an independent worker; it is required to present salary slips, Form 106 and a tax assessment.


There are some types of income that are not included in the computation of a refund, but are considered as income for tax purposes – passive income such as rental fees from a property, National Insurance (Bituach Leumi) payments, even parental support.

Also required is Form 1099 of US Income Declaration listing stocks, investments, income from sales or rentals etc.

You can definitely do it yourself. However, the process is complex.  The law includes sections and sub-sections that change from time to time and that are subject to interpretation. A simple error of writing an A or E can sabotage the entire process. There have even been cases where the IRS clerks themselves were not familiar with the subtleties of the law. It is, therefore, recommended to submit the request through an experienced and professional tax preparer who knows the procedures thoroughly. It saves time, aggravation and enables you to receive the full range of benefits. The cost is quite reasonable.
Download the forms from the IRS website and send then along with the relevant documents that are detailed below.  It is recommended to arrange an appointment with U.S. Benefits in order to assure that you are submitting all the requested forms and documents properly. U.S. Benefits will handle your request with the IRS authorities and, if needed, put your citizenship in order. This is all done professionally, quickly and to your full satisfaction.
Flying to the U.S. is necessary when only one parent is an American citizen, but does not reside in the U.S. or does not live there now and left before he/she was 16. The children will be required to fly to the U.S. as well, in order to receive U.S. citizenship.
Indeed, yes. It is recommended to contact U.S. Benefits with the relevant forms that are detailed below, in order to assure that you are submitting all of the required forms and documents.  U.S. Benefits will handle the process of obtaining citizenship for your children from A to Z.
Perhaps. If you fulfill all the criteria detailed in the law, you will be entitled.  You can check this out on the website of the U.S. Consular Services in Israel. Alternatively, you can turn to U.S. Benefits to check out your eligibility. If you are entitled, U.S. Benefits will handle obtaining U.S. citizenship for you and your children from A to Z. You will need to fly to the U.S. in order to obtain citizenship for the children. You, yourself, can obtain citizenship here in Israel and then apply for the relevant benefits.
Anywhere from three weeks up to a few months. It depends entirely up the how efficient the IRS is in implementing the review.
Indeed, it is possible that you will lose more than you gain. But it is impossible to know. Therefore, it is recommended to arrange an appointment with U.S. Benefits to check your rites vis-à-vis your obligations.
Skip to content